Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My ice maker is leaking on the back of the refrigerator

My ice maker is...

My ice maker is leaking on the back of the refrigerator where it goes through the wall into the ice maker. GE profile refer.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model is Pss26ngpb ww serial number is ***** bought it approximately 2003

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When I saw water on the floor I pulled the refrigerator out and noticed water slowly running down the back of the refrigerator from the fitting going through the back wall into the ice maker.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

I'm sure this is an annoying issue. The reason it is doing that is because the line from the back of the freezer to the icemaker inside of the freezer has frozen. When the water turns on to fill the icemaker, it has nowhere to go so it leaks out of the back. You will need to pull the line off of the back of the freezer and inject hot water into the fill line that goes into the icemaker. Using a turkey baster is handy for this. It may take a while, but it needs to be completely thawed out and won't be considered thawed until the water that you are injecting in it starts going into the icemaker. Alternatively, you can remove the icemaker and gently thaw the line out from the inside with a hair dryer - hot too hot as to not warp the lining. Use low heat if you do this. You will need to use a flashlight to verify that the line is completely thawed all the way to the back of the freezer.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I remove the line at the back of the refrigerator? I don't want to break it.

It usually just pulls right out. Sometimes you need to wiggle it out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It didn't pull out. it was held in by a foam seal that had adhesive on both sides. When I removed it I could see where the seal had started to detach from the refrigerator and it was leaking through that area. Where can I find a seal to replace it

Even if the seal is bad, it should not leak due to gravity - if the tube in the back of the freezer is not frozen. That is not really a seal, it is just adhesive to hold the connector to the back of the refrigerator. You can use any type of glue to put it back on - but the line must be thawed out first and verified to that effect - after which there should be no leak.

Engineer-Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found the ice blockage and removed it. Just need to glue the fitting back on. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech