Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have what seems to be an old Maytag side by side

I have what seems...

I have what seems to be an old Maytag side by side refrigerator, and It continually runs, the items in the refrigerator side are freezing

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Not really it does not have an Ice maker in it, I bought the condo from an older gentleman that lived there for 20 years ..... I think it was original .... not sure but it is an older model

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what the problem is ..... if simple enough

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really

3/21/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no do not call me

Do you have a full model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not at home I was just wondering if there was a simple solution .... it is an old side by side that does not have an ice maker in it .... not sure of the model number
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it just runs constantly (literally never stops) and I am afraid that the motor will burn up and then it won't work at all ....

This is just a bad thermostat. Behind the dial you move to adjust the temperature for the refrigerator section there is a thermostat control and that thermostat will need to be replaced if it never shuts off and is freezing things. The contact in the thermostat is stuck closed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sounds good thanks .... how long will it take for the motor to overload and burn up if at all ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where can I get a Thermostat for it ?

As long as the fan next to the compressor is still running, it would take years to burn up eventually. The motor still shuts down for defrost once a day for a few minutes which allows the compressor to cool down. You can get a thermostat at Searspartsdirect.com if you enter the full model number.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks you have been helpful .... I do not need this to be a monthly enrollment .... is this going to be a one time charge ?

It looks like you're signed up for a subscription but after you rate me I can send this question into customer service and have that changed for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that will work thanks .... where do I go to rate you .. ?

There should be stars at the top or bottom of the screen you can select to rate me.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok are we finished here ?

Yes, thank you. I'll send it into customer service now.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc