Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have what seems to be an old Maytag side by side

I have what seems...

I have what seems to be an old Maytag side by side refrigerator, and It continually runs, the items in the refrigerator side are freezing

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Not really it does not have an Ice maker in it, I bought the condo from an older gentleman that lived there for 20 years ..... I think it was original .... not sure but it is an older model

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what the problem is ..... if simple enough

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really

3/21/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

ok thanks
no do not call me

Do you have a full model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

I am not at home I was just wondering if there was a simple solution .... it is an old side by side that does not have an ice maker in it .... not sure of the model number
it just runs constantly (literally never stops) and I am afraid that the motor will burn up and then it won't work at all ....

This is just a bad thermostat. Behind the dial you move to adjust the temperature for the refrigerator section there is a thermostat control and that thermostat will need to be replaced if it never shuts off and is freezing things. The contact in the thermostat is stuck closed.

sounds good thanks .... how long will it take for the motor to overload and burn up if at all ?
where can I get a Thermostat for it ?

As long as the fan next to the compressor is still running, it would take years to burn up eventually. The motor still shuts down for defrost once a day for a few minutes which allows the compressor to cool down. You can get a thermostat at Searspartsdirect.com if you enter the full model number.

ok thanks you have been helpful .... I do not need this to be a monthly enrollment .... is this going to be a one time charge ?

It looks like you're signed up for a subscription but after you rate me I can send this question into customer service and have that changed for you.

that will work thanks .... where do I go to rate you .. ?

There should be stars at the top or bottom of the screen you can select to rate me.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
ok are we finished here ?

Yes, thank you. I'll send it into customer service now.