Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I live in Guam. Our side by side refrigerator is about 4…

Hello! I'm Diane and...

Hello! I'm Diane and I live in Guam. Our side by side refrigerator is about 4 years old and the ice maker just stopped working. We have checked the water supply and the water line which are both ok as far we could tell. There is water getting to the fridge. All the moving parts seem to be working but it's not filling with water and making ice. We are concerned that it might be the pump system--my husband doesn't want to take the fridge apart (thankfully) so I'm stuck on what to do next. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Sure, it was purchased New in Sept. 2014. Model WRS325FDAW01 whirlpool side by side

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well...if it's within our capacity. We just don't know if there is a Whirlpool mechanic on Guam. No one at the base exchange where we bought it knew if anyone who does repairs.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I guess just that we are on Guam! Thanks!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Ok thank you.

Is there any water in the icemaker mold and what position are the auger fingers in that push the cubes out in the icemaker?

No water getting to the mold and the fingers are in the up position.

Are the fingers straight up?

The fingers are above the molds not in them, if that clarifies it.
No not straight up

Ok can you pop the front cover off the icemaker to get at the gear and holes labeled L,V,T, H?

How do we get the cover off?

It just pops off or use a flat blade screwdriver and pop it off.

Ok trying that now
We got it and see holes

OK get a jumper wire or an insulated large paperclip and strip the ends off....jumper the T and H holes and see if the gear starts to run.

Ok he's trying it
What should happen? The gears should start working?

OK no problem just let me know.

The gear should start to rotate if it does let me know.

Nothing happened. He tried two different types of jumper wire, too.
Wait--it just started rotating

OK then take the jumper out and put it in the L and V holes the valve should energize and it should start filling with water, but only leave the jumper in for a few seconds to see if it starts to fill or it will overfill.

ok got it
Having to adjust the wire.
It has stopped rotating and no water yet
He tried it again for about 10 seconds. Is that enough time? The gear has stopped rotating.
Should he start the gear rotating again?

You can but the gear should continue on by itself, if not you either have a bad icemaker or a fill line blocked. Put some water in the icemaker and see if it dumps the batch in the morning, if not replace the icemaker. If it does defrost the fill line to the icemaker as it is likely frozen up causing the issue.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Ok thank you! I will go to the rating page. Thanks for your help. Have a good day.