Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The light inside the microwave isn’t coming on and the side…

The light inside the...

The light inside the microwave isn’t coming on and the side panel keeps beeping “door” when you try to heat something up

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It’s 4 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Make and model is WMH31017AB-2

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If I have to yes

3/21/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your microwave. Please give me a moment to review your question.

I'm sure this is frustrating and is a common problem. Generally when you are experiencing an issue like this it just means that one of the door switches is bad. These microwaves have 3 to 4 door switches that must all be in their proper positions to cook and heat up and when one goes out you will experience things like "door" errors, the internal light coming on when the door is shut, and heating issues.

Luckily they are fairly inexpensive to replace as most of the switches are less than $20. The bad switch is usually the one that doesn’t “click” when you press the button on it. Sometimes the leads to the switch appear overheated. The part number is W10727360.

You can get it on Amazon here: http://a.co/hYtkubo

If it isn't something that you are comfortable doing yourself you can call a local service company or if you don't know one you can always call Whirlpool directly.

Always unplug the microwave for 3 hours before taking it apart to discharge the High Voltage capacitor. Be careful when working on microwaves.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Thank you

You're welcome!

Engineer-Tech