Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a GE profile oven and it has shut down on two

Customer Question
Hi we have a...

Hi we have a GE profile oven and it has shut down on two different occasions. after the first shutdown it started working again a few weeks later

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's about 5 years old. ill go get the model #

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

That's probably dependent on the level of involvement

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Model # PT916SR2SS

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your oven . Please give me a moment to review your question.

Can you tell me if the oven just seems to loose power when it shuts down?

the only button that seems to work is the clear/off/start button but it doesn't do anything other than beep when pressed

Ok, how did you resolve this in the past?

we didn't. a couple weeks later it just started working again

This is a common problem and known issue. Normally my customers have to cut power off to the oven for several minutes and then back on to recover from it. The control panel and associated board are quite complex and tend to lock up like a computer sometimes and need to be rebooted. I have on one occasion been able to resolve it by replacing the panel, but it is more than $250 for the part.

basically reboot seems to work much of the time.

I have had good luck with that, yes.

Is there anything else I can answer for you about your oven?

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.