Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The freezer works but the main refrigerator does not cool.

The freezer works but...

The freezer works but the main refrigerator does not cool

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Whirlpool, ET6JTKXKQOO 13 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Can you tell me if there is frost building up in the freezer section behind the food on the back wall (inside) the refrigerator?

Engineer-Tech
Phone call session started

Here is the defrost timer

http://a.co/6VtS0ZJ

Here is a link to the fan motor:

http://a.co/h5OYLD7

Here is a generic defrost thermostat:

http://a.co/fRBPU14

Steve you sent me a figure diagram but no listing matching the numbers on the figure. Could you send me this also. Thanks

No problem.

The fan is number 30 and the defrost timer is number 4. if you happen to find solid ice in the air paths, look for a clogged defrost drain hole as well. If clogged, use hot water to unclog.

I found solid ice in the air paths.
1)where is the defrost drain hole?
2)where is the defrost sensor on the diagram
3) if I have to cut the wires of the defrost sensor to measure its resistance, how am I supposed to reconnect it? Soldering the wires?

If you only have ice in the air paths and the coils are not blocked up with ice, no need to test the defrost thermostat.

The drain hole is usually right in the middle of the pan under the coils. It may be covered with ice and not visible.

I didn't get to see the coils. What do I do to see them? I don't see them on the diagram either. By the way the fan is working fine

The evaporator coils will be all that you see when you remove the back wall off of the inside of the freezer. They are what cool the freezer. They are not on the diagram.

if I understand the coils are behind the backwall and the drain hole is below them in the middle. Correct?
1)that is just at the bottom of part 23. Correct?
2)What is the name of part 23?
3)On the diagram what are the screws securing the back wall?
4)If and when I remove the back wall, will I see where the defrost sensor wires are connected?
It could help if you were to send me the part list associated with the diagram!

Correct.

1- Below #23 but further back - behind the wall

2. Defrost sensor is not on the diagram - Whirlpool does not list or show it on some diagrams.

3. If you do cut the wires, you will need to reconnect with wire crimps(proper way), or wire nuts (recommend using silicon to seal them if so.

You will only need to cut the wires if the coils are completely blocked with frost (in which case you will see considerable frost on the back wall)

#29 denotes the screws on the back wall

This should help. Here is a website where you can see all of the diagrams and part lists for this model:

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/et6jtkxkq00/1198/0166000.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=ET6JTKXKQ00&searchTerm=ET6JTKXKQ00

Also,you won't need to cut them of course, if the defrost thermostat uses connectors.

I will need to log of in about 10 minutes.

Thanks. Tomorrow I will remove the back wall and see inside and see the drain hole. In the mean time I test to see if it cools in the main compartment after I have cleared the air ducts.

If the drain hole is clogged, it is best to use a turkey baster to inject hot water into it in order to free it up.