Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The compressor on my whirlpool side by side keeps tripping…

The compressor on my...

The compressor on my whirlpool side by side keeps tripping the thermal overload. when you first start it it will run for 10 seconds and kick off then after about a minute it kicks back on for 3-4 seconds

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

ED5HVEXVB01 MODEL 7 or 8 i think maybe 10

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If its doable

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This means that either your overload relay is weak or the compressor is going back. You can test the overload relay or compressor to know for sure which one is bad, so just replace the overload relay since it's much cheaper than a compressor. A compressor is about $650 to have replaced and requires a technician to replace so it may not be worth fixing at all, but that's about you. The overload relay is about $40 and below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for overload relay

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
how can i test the overload if possible i would like to do that instead of spending 40 bucks on something i will probably throw away if it is the compressor

You can't, that's the problem. As a technician we bring a 3 in 1 start device which is a universal overload relay to see if it'll work, and if so we'll order the OEM overload relay for the compressor.

understood its one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't itemsthanks for the help