Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an Amana LW8303W2 washer that has two issues. First,

I have an Amana...

I have an Amana LW8303W2 washer that has two issues. First, I started seeing black oil coming intermittently out from under the agitator after the spin cycle. Short after, I had a water leak that was coming from above the gear case. I began to dismantle the washer. I removed the agitator to reveal a drive hub. Removed the drive hub and found the inside of the hub with a heavy coating of oil. Removed the seal which had water inside. Currently trying to remove the aluminum hub that the stainless steel wash basked was attached to. Welded in place by years of hard water and detergent residue. Planning to cut it off as I found a source for the part. That will allow me to get to the outer tub water seal. Do I then need to find a seal in the gear box that holds back the oil? I'm assuming the black oil getting on the clothes is from the gear case. Help!!

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I purchased the washer new about 10-15 years ago. Heavy Duty Model LW8303W2, MFG NO: PLW8303W2, SN: R(###) ###-####

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, already started. I have a main new main bearing and hub seal kit.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm an engineer. Prefer to fix this one as I don't like the features of any of the new models.

3/19/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you get the picture. This is about where I am. Hub is frozen in place. Used a puller and the outer edges broke. Currently getting out the chisel to cut off the residual aluminum hub. Driving out the shaft to remove transmission and bearing is next. Before I reassemble, need to know if the transmission need a new seal. Is the oil on the shaft coming up from the transmission. Is that normal
Prefer to chat online so I can review what you send.

So first, you don't have to replace the gear case to fix this issue, you just need to replace the main bearing and seal. But associated with that repair is a lot of bad news. First, the part number you'd need is 495P3 which is no longer made. It has been re-designed about 10 years ago (this washer is about 15 years old) and then ultimately discontinued. Second, you need specialty tools to remove the hub and bearing assembly in order to replace this part so this isn't something you can do yourself. The seal assembly was $150 when it was made so if you can find one, that is what I would expect to pay. The specialty tool cost about $100 which is also no longer made so only technicians or appliance repair companies have them anymore to replace this part. A technician will charge about $200 to replace the part so even if you find the part, you're looking at about a $350 repair. I think it's better to just replace the washer even if you did find the part, but that's completely up to you.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

As I stated, I already have the parts. They were hard to find but not impossible. I have the new bearing, new hub and seal kit. Specialty tool listed can be replaced by a pipe wrench. Where is the black oil coming from if not the transmission? Does the hub seal hold back the oil or is there another seal in the transmission?
I purchased a new Speed Queen for about $1000 and returned it as it is inferior to this old Amana.

OK well, you can certainly replace the seal kit if you want to and already have the parts. That being said, the black oil comes from water going through the tub seal and flushing oil up from the transmission since oil floats on water. Once you clean everything up and replace the main seal kit, the oil will quit leaking as well.

I probably need to change the oil in the transmission to get out the water?

It's not really designed to do that. The unit is 15 years old, that water won't really cause a problem for years and years to come. Eventually the transmission will start getting loud and could possibly fail, but if the washer lasts that long, there is no reason to ever repair it at that point.

Thanks. Transmission oil question is what I needed to know. I did find a U tube showing how to disassemble the transmission to replace parts. Didn't look that difficult once I have this hub cut off.

There is really no need to replace the oil.

Were you able to see the picture of my corroded aluminum hub? I assume a sharp chisel is my best approach since the puller only broke the outer flange off?

Yes I can see. And yes I would use a chisel and a hammer to break it off.

New bearing was $38. New hub and seal kit was $64.
I think I'll have a better washer than the Speed Queen I returned.

The hub and seal kit should be at least twice that so you got a good deal or you got the old seal. Again the new kit part number is ***** . If you got that part then you should be OK. I'm not sure whether I feel it's better or not than a new unit because it's definitely built better, but it has 15 years of use on it so you never know what else might fail later. Either way, that's your call of course and for the price you paid for parts I think it's worth fixing. Good luck!

The bell isn't the issue. It's shaped different because the triple lip seal is different and the new seal is better.

I hope the new parts are OK. The bearing is marked made in China so only time will tell.
Thanks for getting me straight on the transmission oil. That will save me a lot of time.

no problem and good luck once again

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc