Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Freezer is icing over, door wont shut so it gets worse.

Freezer is icing over...

Freezer is icing over, door wont shut so it gets worse. Also, How does the control panel work

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

I took door and all items out, scraped ice off floor and back walls and fan.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would rather not if a part is needed but a local repairman came out and was of no use last time this happened

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think drain line is clogged, it just builds up ice and them door wont shut so it gets worse fast

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Where is the ice building up first? Do you have a full model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

Viking refrigerator, will call home and ask wife, 13 year old fridge on top, freezer on bottom

OK. I just need to know if you have white frost building up or clear sheets of ice on the floor? If it's white frost, where exactly in the freezer is it building up?

white frost on top of everything, scraped sheets of ice off with spatula, bottom vents froze over, got it to where I see coils and a gap of space between them and next vent, but bottom still iced over

OK so first, make sure the door is sealing up (after you thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer. If not then that will cost the frost build up for sure. Other than that, use an alternate thermostat and check the temperature. If the temperature is below 0ºF then excess frost will build up and you can try to adjust the temperature but if it's still too cold, the temperature thermistor sensor would need to be replaced. Lastly, if all that checks good, you need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. See if the drain line below the silver coils is frozen over and if so, use a hair dryer and thaw the drain line out and shoot hot water down the drain until it's clear. If the drain line is not frozen over, you have a defrost problem. Test the defrost heater and defrost thermostat for continuity (below and above the silver coils respectively) and if either one doesn't have continuity---replace it. If both have continuity, replace the display board because that's what controls the defrost cycle.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Thanks!