Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an ice maker in out bar that is constantly running…

I have an ice...

I have an ice maker in out bar that is constantly running and draining our RO water supply.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Jena-Air and trying to find model

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Model JIM158XBCX1 and yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

There's the model number and just curious what part is controlling the water flow

3/19/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This icemaker is a clear ice machine and will almost constantly run because to keep clear ice, the ice is constantly melting slowly. Eventually when the ice machine gets full, it'll stop making ice temporarily, but then the ice will melt more and thus the process repeats. This is just how the unit is designed and nothing you can do to resolve that. The best option is to turn the ice machine off when you don't want to actually use it. Otherwise it's a very large consumption of water and electricity.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Sorry, but not a good answer. I'm thinking it's the water inlet control valve. We have a commercial RO system and should not be draining it. Looking for a solid answer.

The water inlet valve failing would cause water to just keep pouring into the ice machine. If that were the case, it would overflow and all the ice would melt and the icemaker couldn't make ice anymore. Unless the icemaker is constantly overfilling and ice is melting faster than it is being produced, the valve is NOT your problem. What I said before is 100% accurate.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Phone call session started