Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Fan noise coming from behind ice maker on frigidaire

Fan noise coming from...

Fan noise coming from behind ice maker on frigidaire FFHS2611LWA

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Five years old. Model FFHS2611LWA

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Problem seems to be ice build up related. Goes away if firidge has been turned off for a while. Sounds like fan blade is hitting something.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

You are correct that this sounds like ice or frost build up. You'll want to remove everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer starting from the bottom and working your way up until you see the fan. If the silver coils below the fan are packed with frost, it means that the unit isn't defrosting. You'll need to test the heater that runs below the silver coils and the defrost thermostat (1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils) for continuity. If either part doesn't have continuity, replace it. If both parts have continuity, then replace the main control board because it's not defrosting properly.

Other than that, if there is just ice forming on the bracket around the fan blade, use a small drill bit and drill a tiny hole in the bracket so the water will drain through the hole and go down to the silver coils and eventually the drain pan. Thaw all the ice/frost build up with a hair dryer and you should be good to go again.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It appears that the ice build up is coming from above the coils . probably from the ice maker fill tube.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am wondering if drilling the fan bracket will solve this problem and why it has just started after almost five years?>

That's not common, but if it's coming from the fill tube, use a hair dryer and thaw the fill tube out behind the icemaker and make sure the fill tube is pushed on snuggly to the coupler and water hose and such.

Drilling the bracket is a common practice for this unit because water from defrost can collect on the bracket, not sure why it happens after a couple years, but that's the fix for the problem and it works.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One more question. I can't get the entire upper back panel off because I can't get the ice catcher/ auger tray unplugged. Is there a trick to that ?

I couldn't say for certain without being there. There isn't so much a trick as you just need to remove the screws going into the back panel or side brackets and it pulls out through

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The problem is that I can't get to the plug to unplug it . It is pushed back through a hole in the panel .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was refering to the wrong part . it is the bracket with the drive motor for the auger that I can't get off.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have it completely loose but can't get it unplugged.

You don't take that off. That entire auger, auger motor etc, comes with the metal panel it's mounted to and it pulls out the front of the freezer.

I'm not sure what to say but without being there this is something you're going to have to figure out on your own.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc