Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool Cabrio. recently it stopped spinning. I…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a whirlpool Cabrio. recently it stopped spinning. I removed the back panel and looked for anything broken. I turned the tub manually and it seemed to free up from a bind. When I started the machine again, it started spinning at a very very high speed, and sounded like a jet plane. I tried the Casual setting that put it in low speed and it was just as fast and loud. Any hep will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Be right back, have to find the manual.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what it is. I am very handy and worked as a mechanic at Kodak for 27 years. It is a top-loading, hi efficiency low water. What other info do you need?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't know? It has been working fine since we bought the house it is in for about 3 years. The previous owners lived here for about a year and bought it new. So probably not more that 6 years old.

3/19/2018
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thank you, Dave

If it is making that sound now that it is spinning we know it needs spin bearings. There is a good video showing how to do this but you will also need special tools. Either you buy them or if there is a place near that would loan them to you it would save money. There are places that will ship the tools for 90 day to save money. Send me your model number and I will send the parts and video links.

Dave

Dave, it seems to be spinning so much faster than ever before. Is the noise due to the bearings being shot? and is is really spinning at the same speed as usual?
I'll get the model number.

I understand what you are saying but the noise makes it sound like it is faster. It is just bad bearings. It will sound ok when washing but jet engine loud spinning.

It is a Model WTW5500XW2, Serial Number C20431978, And also has a Type number 588-01. please advise me of the cost of the parts? Is it just bearings? Thanks again.
I am retired and on a very fixed income, so any help is truly appreciated.

Your washer is not the model that has the replaceable bearing that generally gets noisy. That means the noise on your washer is either coming from the gearcase, motor, pump or other drivetrain. Can you check to see if it make the noise when pumping or washing?

It seems only noisy when is spin mode.

Ok then that would be a problem in the gearcase unless there is something stuck between the tubs. Something between the tubs would not be as high speed though. One thing to check first is the pulley at the bottom of the washer. If it comes loose it will rub on the plastic guard. You need to tilt or lay the washer down to see that.

Would it still rotate at high speed if a pulley were loose? I did over ride the lid lock and could see the tub moving as fast a it sounded.

When it gets very loose it wouldn't spin or agitate at all. The pulley noise would be coming from down near the floor. Since the tub was stuck I think we can rule out the pulley. Not sure there is a video on removing the tub and gearcase but I will check.

Ok, I am here.

Here are two links. The first is the pulley loose and the second would be gearcase. The gearcase is number W11132267

Pulley loose link

Gearcase video link

I really thing the gearcase is your problem because the tub seal went bad. It comes with a new seal.

Any idea of price of gearcase? I don't think it is going to be the pulley.
Dave, how much are the parts?
The gear case is about $175 but shop online for best price. Used are available but not s great idea.
Appliance Tech Dave
Thank you very much Dave!