Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My ge profile microwaves (model pt970dr2bb) control panel…

Customer Question
My ge profile microwaves...

My ge profile microwaves (model pt970dr2bb) control panel has went out 3 times and it was manufactured in july oif 2013. the microwave sparks and buzzes and when you shut the door it continually runs. replacing the control panel solves the problem for a period of time but it will inevitably return

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

As i stated it was manufactured in july 2013. and it is model pt970dr2bb

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have previously been the one to replace the control panel yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just want to know what keeps causing the control panel to go out so i can possibly fix that problem and be done with my microwave problems

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 3 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Okay thank you

The microwave uses a part called the magnetron tube which generates the microwaves for heating. This device is similar to a light bulb and will just burn out out of the blue or draw too much current causing the board to fail. Then the microwave will run and do everything as it should be but it will not heat or it will wreck the board drawing too much current. Often the cost of the part and labor exceed the replacement on most microwaves. The unit will be fixable it's just up to you of how much money and time you want invest in the unit as nowadays microwaves are so inexpensive a lot of these are considered throw outs. If you need any other help just post back to me and we can go from there thanks.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Is the magnetron tube part of the control board? Cause if not then wouldn't we need to change that for the microwave to work since as you said it is what generates the heat Because every time we have changed the control board it has worked for 6-12 months before messing up again

The magnetron is not part of the board, but can draw too much current causing premature board failure, it was common on that unit.

this time when we change the board we should change the magnetron tube because it's what's causing the board to fail?

Yes

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician