Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My 6 year old Whirlpool front-load washer stopped spinning…

My 6 year old...

My 6 year old Whirlpool front-load washer stopped spinning and draining mid-spin cycle. How do I get it to drain without flooding my laundry room.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 6 years old .. Model GHW9159PW1

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I've done it before ...

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm just trying to drain it so I can check the drain pump and the drive belt.

3/19/2018
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. Have you tried unplugging your appliance for 5 minutes to do a hard reset yet? If unplugging is not easy to do turning off the breaker for 5 minutes does the same thing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've tried unplugging it but only for about 30 sec or so. That got me as far as resetting the door lock & emptying the washer of clothes.

ok so the door did open?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just restarted it on the "Spin/Drain" cycle. No spin & no drain.

ok now is it working at all? Lighting up or anything? If you shut the door again and put it on the drain/spin cycle to try and drain it?

ok is it lighting up at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The cycle started as expected, but no spin or drain ... just a rattling noise

ok is the door locking when you try putting it on the drain spin cycle? It should make a click noise?

also can you please double check the model number you provided I am not pulling anything up with it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the door does lock at the start of the cycle.There's about 6 inches of water in the tub, so it's difficult to move the washer.

I totally understand. If you can just double check that model number on the inside of the door for me please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model GHW9150PW1 << corrected model #
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The Drain/Spin cycle just aborted with a "Sud" error code
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK ... that might take a minute - the washer just restarted ... apparently trying to finish the Spin/Drain cycle.Please stand by

that is fine I am not going anywhere.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
stepping through the diagnostics now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
up to C:05 & the washer drum is turning
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in C:06 now ... and the washer is still churning

page 10

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK ... I'm hearing some noise and the washer is not draining.So that's the drain pump that's bad or the pump filter is clogged?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still churning on C:06
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think the drain pump and the filter are accessible from the front ... right?

first check the drain hose in the back to make sure nothing is clogged in it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I now got a regular series of beeps and an 02 F display

that is the long drain error meaning excessive long drain time page 2 of the manual explains this error.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
checking the drain hose in the back gets me to my original question ... how do I drain this machine so I can check it?

does your model have the drain filter door (service door in the front) small square shaped opening that opens in the front.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nope ... just a full panel
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
looks like I take that panel off and try to clean the pump filter.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've done that before ... just didn't do it with a full load of water in the machine.Hopefully I won't have a mini-flood in the process. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

yo​u may be able to access it that way. You will need to ake sure to put towels down because the water is more then likely going to come spilling out. Any water you can get out with a cup would be best.

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK ... no flood now and it's getting late.Thanks for your help ... at least I'll be heading in the right direction in the AM

so​unds good in the event you need further assistance in the morning I will be here to assist you.

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman