Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

GE model GSS25QSTASS water dispenser quit working. 11 years…

GE model GSS25QSTASS...

GE model GSS25QSTASS water dispenser quit working

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

11 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can hear the relay clicking on motherboard when dispenser handle is pressed

3/19/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Generally when you have this type of issue with a GE side by side, it is a frozen dispenser line. Especially if you can hear the relay click. There are a number of ways to thaw it out. Using a hair dryer on low heat from a distance pointed at the dispenser (where the water comes out) for 10 or 15 minutes, as well as 5 minutes on the other side of the freezer door (from inside of the freezer directly in back of where the water line give water) can work well. Use low heat with the hair dryer from a distance so you don't warp the plastic around the dispenser. I will attach a few videos to help you out. These will be models GE different than yours, but have the same problem and are basically the same on the inside of the door. To help reduce the chance of it recurring, turn the freezer temp up slightly and use the water frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJ_EatXJ9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52OfpE8zENA&t=2s

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech