Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a maytag mircorwave oven, model number mmv5165bab,

I have a maytag...

I have a maytag mircorwave oven, model number mmv5165bab, over the range model. the auto defroster won't shut off. the clock works, the timer works. the auto defroster is still running after 30 minutes. It is approximately 10 years old and has never given me problems until now.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is 10 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I'm by myself. I live with my 16 year old daughter.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It won't shut off.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your microwave. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Have you been able to locate the plug above the microwave in the cabinet and unplug the unit?

it is flush against a wall and flush against the cabinetry above it.I had thought about cutting power through the fusebox but didn't know what that would do to the unit.

There should be a cabinet above the microwave. Open the cabinet and look for a plug and unplug it.

I found the plug above the cabinetry and have unplugged it. I forgot it was there as it was full of cookbooks from Christmas when my daughters decided to make every holiday recipe known to man.

I understand. Now try plugging it back in and see if it has reset. If not - and it starts running again, unplug it and let me know either way,

It is no longer running after I plugged it back in

Ok, are you able to use the microwave now? Can you check with a coffee cup of water - if it still heats?

cup of water is in the microwave now. heating for about a minute....I had totally forgotten where the plug was until you reminded me. many thanks
cup of water is steaming and the cup is warm to the touch....

You're welcome!

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech