Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Help. I have a ge public performance gas oven xl44. I

Help. I have a...

Help. I have a ge public performance gas oven xl44. I accidentally hit the self clean button instead of the off button. Food inside oven caught on fire. I unplugged oven . Oven is locked and cannot override it. Can't plug oven back on as it will go back to self clean.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Xl44 Probably 10 years ol?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I just don't want the house to catch on fire. How do I get the oven door to unlock

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's been unplugged for 45 minutes

3/18/2018
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Just shut the unit off at the breaker or unplug it and let it cool all the way down for at least 2-3 hours. Then plug it back in or turn the breaker back on and it should open the door. Nothing will start on fire other than the burned food in the oven.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Breaker?

The circuit breaker for the outlet on your electrical panel for your house.

Is the breaker in the house or is there a breaker on the oven?

In the house not on the oven

Ok. I unplugged it. Once oven is cooled down then door should open. Do I need to plug oven back in to get door to open? I am worried that it will go back to self cleaning mode.

You need to plug it back in after it is cold and the motor should unlock the door.

Ok. But will the self cleaning mode turn back on when I plug it back in?

No it will reset back to normal and the door should open.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician