Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE Cafe fridge was turned on and ran for a week without…

My GE Cafe fridge...

My GE Cafe fridge was turned on and ran for a week without water connected. Ice maker was on. Thought fridge was louder than should be. Turned off ice maker and nose went away. Was ice maker damaged?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Brand new just installed by contractor who plugged in without water connected. Was aGE Cafe with kureg coffee maker in door.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Asking if fridge may have been damaged because ice maker was on without water being connected. Hope there is no work to do!

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so

3/18/2018
Ray, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I'm Ray and would be happy to help you. That should have not done any damage at all. I haven't never seen that happen. Do you have water hooked up to it now?

No. Water line has not been run by contractor yet. My concern was that the pump had been running the entire time trying to fill ice trays.
Owner manual said only turn on ice maker AFTER water was connected. Ice maker was on for a week without water connected. Concerned about damage.

I honestly doubt if it hurt it.

remember when you do hook up the water to purge all of the air out

its a very little out put of water that goes to the ice maker and the pump only run for a couple of seconds. I honesty doubt if any damage was done

I here you. So the pump is on a timer? I thought it might keep running until water tripped a float switch or something? The fridge was making a constant, (and I to thought unusually loud for a new fridge) noise for a week. After I turned the ice maker off the noise stopped.

The ice make does work off of a float type switch. It was trying to make ice but no water was there. you will be fine.

I hope I was able to help you and if you need anything else I will be here for you. I would deeply appreciate it if you would rate me on here.. Thanks and take care

Ok Ray, as an engineer I was concerned that a pump that it's designed to run intermittently and that ran dry for a week would have no damage.

I would just try it then to see

Ray,
Of course I could just try it! And I am pretty sure it will run. My concern was that any long term damage might have been done. I.e. shortened life expectancy etc. , Or it is a brushless motor and should be ok. I understand that it is a difficult question because it takes a real dumb ass (my contractor) to run the thing without the water hooked up. You said it should be ok. It will be hooked up in a day or so. If it works I will give you 5 Star. If not we can talk ☺️

LOL, I can't believe he would hook it up to.. You should be perfectly fine. You do have a year warranty on it just in case

Ray, Home Appliance Technician