Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

House refrigerator quit working it’s running but is no

longer getting cold it’s a...
House refrigerator quit working it’s running but is no longer getting cold it’s a Kenmore
3/18/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. Have you tried unplugging your appliance for 5 minutes to do a hard reset yet? If unplugging is not easy to do turning off the breaker for 5 minutes does the same thing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No but I think it just start working on it’s own I’m not sure it did ruin all my food in freezer but some water in the freezer started to freeze from when it leaked The refrigerator part still is called not quite as cold as it used to be but I read online or somebody said to reset the freezer temperature and that’s what I did and I think it’s working but I’m not hundred percent sure because one day last week like Wednesday or Thursday it did make a little bit more noise than normal but this morning it wasn’t making any noise at all but now it sounds like it’s running

ok ​so what we will need to do is give it some time to reset which is what it sounds like it did. First thing you want to check is the fan in the freezer running? If it is and the compressor in the back is running lets give it time to cool. Then we will move on from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m OK I feel he at the compressor and a little bit of air there and I hear something but I’m not sure if is the fan or not now do you want me to unplug it then

no lets go ahead and see what happens. Then we will move on from there. Lets give it a little while to try and cool and down and we will look at it again in a little ewhile. You can bookmark this thread to get back to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But what could’ve caused us have a Denteley my freezer hasn’t been working for three or four days and I just didn’t notice it because of how Bill busy I’ve been having been in the freezer

it could have just gotten stuck on the control board. Sometimes this does happen and just needs a good reset just like a computer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are the signs what do you look for

well if the unit is not running that is a sign. Temps raising, no noise coming from the unit. Lights going out. Those type of things.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I didn’t notice anything I’m in the refrigerator all the time but lights were on in the refrigerator what does the ultra ice mean What does the ultra ice mean

Ultra Ice Mode

Pressing the "Ultra Ice" button boosts the ice maker's production speed by dropping the temperature of the freezer, helping it turn out more cubes in a shorter period. The Ultra Ice graphic illuminates while the mode is active.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did turn that on so I’m not sure what got it going again either that or reset and changing the tampon the freezer

we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully nothing else is needed down if so I am here to assist you.

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u for ur time
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Freezer is cold but it’s not freezing I tried to make ice overnight when I put my hand down by the compressor I feel cool air but not heat from the compressor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did unplug it for five minutes this morning to and then plug it back in

so​ the compressor should be running warm not hot and not cool is it not doing that? You should be able to hold y our hand over the compressor and tell this. Keep in mind there is a fan next to the compressor that you will hear running (or should anyway) to pull the hot air away from the compressor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check and let you know
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The temperature in the freezer is 30 for the compressor is hot to the touch I mean I can keep my hand on it but it’s good and warm I’m thinking I don’t hear a fan
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
34 degrees

hmmm now the compressor should not be hot. Are you sure the fan next to it is not running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see a fan on the far side and it’s barely spinning

ye​s that is the fan and its barely spinning? Does there seem to be a lot of dust or grime in there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A little but not bad at all

an​d its barely spinning. Hmmmm it could mean a weak motor and it needing replaced. That may be why the compressor is running to warm. now what about the fan in the freezer is it running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The coils aren’t warm
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do car AC so I know little bit about how it works

the coils on the back or the coils inside the freezer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The ones next to the compressor you can see them better in the first picture
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you going to help me with this

no​ they do not necessarily need to be hot. I am sorry it took me a bit to respond I was called away for work but I am back now.

the compressor being hot is what is worrying me. It shouldn't be hot it should be a little warm but not hot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My heat gun says it’s 112 on the outside of the compressor the coils I guess that’s the condenser or 75° the line coming out of the evaporator is 75 and that low side is 80 going into the evaporator

it​ sounds like your compressor may possibly have a leak. That is way to hot

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I looked around I didn’t see any oil or anything what should I be looking for I have a leak detector

we​ll with it being Freon its not going to be oil or anything. The fact the compressor is overheating and not cooling the unit as it should is the indicator. Now I know I have asked a few times if the fan inside the freezer is running can you check that for me? Also while you are at it lets go ahead and remove the back wall INSIDE the freezer and see if there is ice built up in there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn’t see anything inside the freezer when I looked so I thought you were talking about the one on the other side of the coat the condenser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I will look when I get back home

you have two fans one near the compressor in the back and another inside the freezer behind the wall which should push up and out and we will need to see if the fan is running when the door is shut as well as if there is ice built up in there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I’ll check that when I get back home
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I get the drawer out so I can take apart the the back wall of the freezer but I don’t hear a fan
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK the fans not workingThe evaporator is iced up for the freezer just at the front but just for the inlet is but that’s still bad enough
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anything else it could be besides the fan
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 2.9 V how did you wire going into the fan shows ground and power

ok so the fan is not running and then you said there is ice there? That is why the compressor is over working so we need to melt the ice and you will need to test the defrost heater to make sure its working.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you think the fan is bad or not I mean should I be going and getting one
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I test the defrost heater
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m waiting to do this
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK the defroster has continuity

s​orry man I primarily work in the evenings when I am home which I am now. I have been coming on and checking for replies from you periodically through the day when I had a few moments as to try and not keep you waiting. Yes if the fan motor is not running its going to need to be replaced. Did you get the ice melted yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I have a 12 V power probe that I used to check car connections with Lenore and get me voltage and everything I can make the fan work separate from the refrigerator just buy ground in the black wire and adding voltage fusible voltage to the Redwire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I had the refrigerator completely defrosted put it back together and Kenna and the fan does not run
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It shows 2.9 faults at each wire going to the fan so it sounds to me like it might be something that’s not turning the fan on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Travis I need to get this finished I sent this question out on Saturday and here it is Tuesday and I am I’m still not finished Can you please help me through this

th​e only thing that would cause this to happen would be the control board itself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What kind of voltage should I have going to the fan
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how much is a control board

fo​r that I will need to see if the I have the service manual. What is the model number of your fridge?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I here this lg are problems from several people

sadly LG and Samsung are among the worst for all problems.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My client has this same frig she has been so disappointed
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Best place to get circuit board

I always recommend customers to stay away from those brands. They look great but are horrible when it comes to stability. Going through your service manual now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is 10 to 14 V if it’s running and 2 to 4 if it’s not is that what I’m reading

that's if the motor is on or if the motor is off. So if its running it should read 10-14 and if its not running it should read 2-4

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s what I was trying to say

yes then you are correct

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What’s the average cost of a control board
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think this is six years old
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s probably worth it to do it at least once

lol no comment :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is a French door model I’d rather have a side-by-side with no ice and no water because I buy that stuff was probably one of the most dependable ones to get

I do understand. In the event you do decide to change your mind. Look into Frigidaire, or Maytag brands.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank u I will let u know

sounds good.

i​ts your fridge sensor / thermostat basically.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anyway to test that or should I just go with the control board

you can test for continuity.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn’t have continuity

so then its bad as well. Now you tested the fan from the control board correct? Did it determine failed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tested the fan off of the Refrigerator in my hand I could make it work by adding 12 V

then it may very well be the thermistor being the issue. I thought you said it failed from the control board which meant the control board not telling the fan to power which of course rules out the fan itself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tested it plug and I only got 2 1/2 V
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it wasn’t running

ok ok so lets replace the thermistor and if it doesn't fix the issue that will only leave the control board being at fault. The thermistor itself just failed testing so it does definitely need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will let u know

sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s probably worth it then to try to fix it at least once this is a French door model you know what the bottom freezer I’d like to just the side-by-side the past and I don’t need icemaker or or water dispenser cause I buy bottled water and I buy ice what would be the best to get

something like this?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-21-7-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-Black/1000337035​

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-25-1-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-Black/1000337051

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I like that thx
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
My freezer still isn’t working new circuitboard new thermistor assembly controller assembly still fan does not come on
This certainly at this point sounds like one of the replaces boards is malfunctioning
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
What is that I’ve got $250 into this and still not working icebox
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman