Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kitchen Aid washing machine (KAWE570BWH0) that no…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Kitchen Aid washing machine (KAWE570BWH0) that no longer runs a delicate cycle. It agitates as if on regular cycle. Is there a part I should check? Thanks.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Mid-90s. I gave the model number. It's a Sure Two Speed.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if it is a simple swapping of parts.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't know what to say. Do you have any suggested questions?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
3/17/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 month ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Your washer motor always starts on high speed and then drops to medium as soon as it is running. If the centrifugal switch is stuck you will not get the lower speed. If you never get low speed on any cycle the motor switch is the problem. I don't think the switch is available by itself. You can try to tap the switch to see if the contact is just sticking but if that doesn't work you will need to replace it. Let me look up the part number.

The motor switch is available separately. It is WP8529896

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've already replaced the part and it did not remedy the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Other suggestions?
The only other thing that I can think of would be the timer but if the high speed contact was stuck closed it would try to run both speeds and damage the motor. Was running all on high the problem when you replaced the switch?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it wasn't running on high. I replaced the switch to try to remedy the delicate cycle problem.
Am I correct that you don’t get any low speed on any cycle?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's correct.
Do you have a meter to test voltage and ohms?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do, but am not an expert. Let me know what to test. I probably won't measure until tomorrow.
Okay, let me put something together and I will reply soon.

Other than crossed wires the only thing I can see would be a timer contact. Set the timer for regular wash and test from T to OR for continuity and T to BU should be open. Do this with the timer connector off the timer. The timer has a key chart to show you which pins are T and OR etc. If that checks okay make sure the Blue and Orange wires are not shorted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have metered the timer. When set for regular wash T to OR has continuity and T to BU is open. The Blue and Orange wires are not shorted. What can I test next (if anything). Thanks.
This goes back to my original answer. If the timer is good and power is getting to the high speed winding but not on the blue wire it has to be through the switch. Are you positive it is running high speed wash?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've reread the correspondence and not looking at washing machines and their functioning daily, I assumed that the lack of change in speed when going from regular to delicate meant that the medium speed never kicked in. Just to confirm, what you're telling me is that it's always on medium speed, given the facts you've received?
It drains in high speed but washes in low speed. If it was washing high speed for the full time the clothes would be getting damaged.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. But I guess I'm a little confused. What does the delicate cycle do that's different from regular?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not seeing any difference in delicate cycle agitation.
Wash speed is the same but time is shorter and spin is slower.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That seems different from other things that I'll read online, especially the part that agitation is less. Perhaps they really mean that the agitation cycle is shorter. Not well written. Thanks!

Compare spin speed between the regular cycle and delicate and if you can see the difference you know it is working as normal. Was this helpful?

Dave

Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave