Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Bosch HMB5050/01. I have a Bosch MW HMB5050/01. It…

I have a Bosch...

I have a Bosch HMB5050/01

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I have a Bosch MW HMB5050/01. It has worked just fine until this morning. No matter what setting it is on it cuts off about 20 seconds after turning it on.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am pretty handy so if you think it’s something that can be done without a lot of experience I’d try it

3/17/2018
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

If its stopping like this after 20 seconds or so then its not heating so the inverter unit is shutting down.

Now for this its either the inverter unit itself at fault or the magnetron itself.

Now as you you fixing it yourself then if you havent a lot of experince then i wouldnt mess with it. As microwaves can be very dangrous as they can store upto 4500v even when unplugged so touch the wrong wires without discharging it and it can throw you across the room.

But if you do want to try and fix it then you need to remove the microwave and then remove the outer casing.

There on the right is the workings. You will see the inverter board and the magnerton. You need to discharge the inverter unit by using a insualted handle screwdriver and touch the wires on the inverter to metal casing to discharge it.

Then you need to remove the magnetron and check the end and see if its burnt. If its ok then you need a test meter to test it. If faulty then it will need to be replaced.

But if the magnetron is fine then the inverter is faulty. But both parts are very expensive as they are both about $250 each so not a cheap fix.

Regards

Thanks sounds like I’ll just replace it

To be honest we dont repair many microwaves anymore as its usually not worth it im afraid.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician