Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE profile refrigerator/ with bottom freezer. 14…

I have a GE...

I have a GE profile refrigerator/ with bottom freezer. 14 years old. Earlier in week, both fridge and freezer were increasing to 22 deg in freezer / 44 in fridge.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

A tech was here yesterday from GE. replaced the T Stat for the defrost coil in freezer. 14 years old. Coil was badly posted over

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Today the fridge is fine, and freezer is at 27 deg. i just took everything apart myself and found the coil starting to freeze over the defrost coil is cold.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I see a plug in module at the rear of the freezer compartment. is that a diagnostic port that will tell you anything substantial with the correct instrument?

3/17/2018
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

OK the unit is likely running low on freon, check and make sure the condenser is clean. If it is then remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the evaporator coil. If only part of it is frosted and not the whole thing, the rest being bare aluminum then you have a freon leak. If that is the case the fix is too expensive for the unit and I would start looking for a new one. Note the refrigerator section often will maintain temps still because there is enough freon to get to 37 degreees, but not enough to get to 0 degrees. Check that out and see what you find and get back to me!

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Thank you. The condenser coils are not exposed. There is a closure panel across the entire back of the fridge. There is an access panel in front of what I assume is the compressor. Will I be able to see anything from there as far as condenser coil is concerned?
Where do I rate you. Don’t see a review button