Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a maytag dishwasher model MDBH968AWS3, I am trying to…

Customer Question
I have a maytag...

I have a maytag dishwasher model MDBH968AWS3, I am trying to take apart the inside parts to clean the filter. However, on my dishwasher, there is a black circular pulley or something on top of my filter and I can't get it off. When I try to unscrew the central screw, the black"pulley" just spins. I don't know how to get it off to get the filter below out.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I just told you the exact model in the first paragraph.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I already said I am doing the work myself and have it mostly apart. Did you read my first paragraph

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. But,this part is not shown on any of the how-to videos or directions on line,so it is different than many Maytag models, so be sure Iam getting the right information.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

That black pulley is actually your wash impeller. You must use an adjustable wrench to try to hold the black wash impeller steady. Then try to turn the screw. Often times this screw tends to seize up so unless you MUST remove the impeller, I wouldn't advise doing it. You can clean the filter by running an empty cycle using a product called Dishwasher Magic. If you run an empty load with this product it will clean out everything inside your dishwasher really well. You can buy Dishwasher Magic at Lowes or order it online.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.