Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How to get the fan on a GE Profile Convection / Microwave…

How to get the fan...
How to get the fan on a GE Profile Convection / Microwave Oven to turn off? It appears to be the fan associated with the convection oven versus the fan for the vent under the hood. The touch sensor controls were accidently touched and this fan came on. But every touch sensor button tested does not list any function to turn this fan off. It turns off when the oven door is opened, but then resumes when the door is closed which is what the fan does when the convection oven is activated. But the LED display show that there is no pre-heating function activated or any other cooking cycle or microwave function in operation. That screen is blank save that for the digital time that is displayed. The oven is bolted into the cabinetry so there is no easy access to an AC plug to cut power. Must we cut all the power to the kitchen via the fuse box for the home? Is the fan malfunctioning? Runaway Fan! Help! How to stop this thing?
3/17/2018
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. Have you tried unplugging your appliance for 5 minutes to do a hard reset yet? If unplugging is not easy to do turning off the breaker for 5 minutes does the same thing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As my question pointed out, we cannot get to the power cord of the above-range convection / microwave oven because it has been installed into the cabinetry with bolts, does not slide out, and cannot be moved around without disassembling it's installation. I did find the breaker switch at the fuse box which powers that section of the kitchen and cut the power for 5 minutes, but when the power was restored, the fan came back on. We will try cutting the power for a longer period (e.g. overnight) and restore power in the morning to see if the fan has reset to the off setting. If not, however, what is the next procedure? To call a repairman for in-home repairs?

sounds like you may have a problem with a fuse or door switch. This would require testing and replacing

do​or switch would be simple but the fuse is located in the back and would require uninstalling if it turned out to be the problem.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Update: The power to the convection oven was turned off at the breaker overnight but when switched back on, the fan turned back on which indicates a hard reset was not successful. The oven's interior light remains on, even when the door is closed but the fan cuts off when the door is opened, restarting when the door is closed again. Does that sound like an oven fuse problem? Could a layman / not an appliance repairman, perform the oven removal from the cabinetry with basic tools (e.g. standard wrenches, screw drivers, etc.) and get to where the oven's fuse is located to replace it? And where to purchase the correct fuse for this oven? Typically online? Or are these fuses so common they could be found at chain home improvement stores with electrical departments (e.g. Home Depot, Lowe's, True Value Hardware)...?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You mentioned that testing would be required to see if the fuse was bad. How is that test performed? Is any special equipment or tools required to perform this test?

in order to answer these questions I will need your model number of your microwave and yes you would need a multimeter in order to test the fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From label inside oven door: "General Electric Household Microwave Oven"; Model: PVM9179SF1SS; Manufactured August 2014. Website: GEApplicances.com; Phone: 800-GE-CARES
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked online at Sears Parts Direct. The Fuse for Microwave Oven PVM9179SF1SS is Part No. WB27X10388 which Sears sells for $7.03. The Sears Parts Chat Specialist recommends purchasing the Fuse Screw for an additional $2.96. With tax & shipping, the order would be $20.54 with delivery in 6 calendar days. NO RETURNS however, so I would need to be confident that the fuse is what needs replacing before purchasing; Don't want to throw away $20 if I can avoid it. Multimeters can be purchased for only $8, but getting to the fuse, i.e. disassembling the installation in custom cabinetry above range, would be the tricky part -- I think -- just to get to where the fuse is located which I'm guessing would be behind the back panel I'd have to screw off -- right? If I call for a local appliance repairman, any suggestions on how to find a qualified one that won't charge outrageous fee for what could be a simple procedure / i.e. fuse replacement?

so this is the fuse and a place that returns parts that do not fix the problem. IT also has a helpful video for uninstalling the part out of the microwave. You shouldn't need the screw its not a matter of a fuse having fallen out so they are just upselling you there. Either way I would need your zipcode in order to find a tech near you.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Fuse/WB27X10388/875392?modelNumber=PVM9179SF1SS​

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My zip code is 78552.

GE Appliance Repair

(###) ###-####/p>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Update -- After running the microwave several times, the convection oven fan finally turned off. Does this alternating behavior point to a fuse or other part that is wearing out / on the blink? Or would a fuse simply work or not work but not go back and forth?

hmmm no that wouldn't indicate a bad fuse more like maybe something stuck on the control board. So its functioning correctly now? If so I would leave it be and if the problem comes back you would want someone to come out because the control board may be going bad on you.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Last Question -- Is the "control board" behind the control buttons and has to be accessed by disassembling various panels covering it? Or is "control board" the exterior control buttons or something that might be checked or wiped down to see what is sticking? Again, the problem came up when I accidentally touched some button by mistake but I'm not sure which one it was. I pressed absolutely every button thereafter to turn off whatever it was I had turned on, but that didn't work so whatever may have been stuck was somewhere else. (Rating will follow this final follow-on confirmation question. Thank you!)
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you for providing the link to the part for the Control Board, currently listing at $148.75 at Sears Parts Direct. And thank you for providing the link to show where the Control Board is located which is indeed inside the oven behind the front panel and would require disassembly to replace. Given the price of the Control Board and disassembly required to replace it, I opt not to replace it at this time given how the fan did turn off after the microwave completed several cooking cycles. The cost of the control board in addition to what would be service and labor costs to install it move this decision into possibly replacing versus repairing the oven if this problem returns and is not remedied through cycling the microwave or persists to possibly burning out the fan motor or causing other problems. Thank you for your helpful answers and guidance as your advisories were value added.
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman