Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a microwave mounted over my oven and stovetop. Under…

I have a microwave...

I have a microwave mounted over my oven and stovetop. Under the microwave is a "vent" that isn't ducted out of the house, so it really doesn't serve any purpose. I want a vented exhaust in the kitchen that goes to the outside wall of the house. Does this mean I need to get a microwave that is free standing? Or is there a way to have the microwave and a hood that is ducted so the ?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

The microwave is a Samsung. It's a piece of junk. I don't know how old it is because I just bought the house. But, I need to replace the microwave anyway. I just don't have a lot of counter space so it would be better if I could replace it with one that can be mounted under the small cabinets over the stovetop. But, I also really need an exhaust fan that will vent grease, food smells out of the kitchen. What we have now does not remove anything in the air.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. I will have to have someone else do the work.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

You can actually change up the way your microwave works. The blower fan can be altered so that it blows up or backwards instead of forward to recirculate the air into the kitchen. The microwave just needs to be uninstalled and the outer shell of the microwave needs to be removed. Then you can rotate the fan to blow whatever direction you want to create the vent outside your house.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
I am intending to replace the microwave anyway. So, would it be best to get a free standing microwave for the counter, or is it easy to vent outside of the house with whatever microwave I buy? Or is there a better brand or model of under the cabinet microwave for that purpose? Do you have a suggestion as to where I might locate a person who can do this kind of work?
Phone call session started