Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I received a refrigerator as a gift. it is a whirlpool,

freezer on top. not very...
i received a refrigerator as a gift. it is a whirlpool, freezer on top. not very expensive. the motor runs but it does not cool. what could be the issue? and would it be cheaper to repair or buy a new one.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

open the fresh food section the model /serial number is ***** the interior fresh food section wall.

And most refrigerators have three motors ,which one do you say is running ?

I think it is W8TXNGFWQ01
It sounds like the whole thing is running, but neither the refrigerator or freezer cools.

Thank you!
Give me a few minutes to pull up information on this model.
I am helping you along with other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

if you open the freezer door the unit is not cooling at all !

no problem, thanks

ok if the unit is running and not cooling the most likely issue is the refrigeration system has a refrigerant leak and will need to be repaired .

Which depending upon where the leak is the repair cost could be between $500.00 to as much as $800.00

Do you know is the unit over 1 year old ?

oh yes, it is older then 1 year
it must be about 5 yrs or more

Ok so if it is over 1 year old and running but not cooling in the least .

I would not recommend that you repair it . due to the cost . just a service call for the servicer to walk in the door and say hello in most areas will cost you a minimum of $125.00

Master Tech
Thank you, ***** ***** it will be cheaper to buy a new one. I have seen similar models for about 400.00

Yes I agree!

Thank you have a nice Safe weekend .