Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE microwave turns on when I open the door and shuts down…

My GE microwave turns...

My GE microwave turns on when I open the door and shuts down when I close it.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

ABout 7years old. Model JVM1540SP1SS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if very basic

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It acted up about a month ago and tripped circuit, but was OK when I reset the breaker.

3/16/2018
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

You need to replace the top door switch there are three you will want to replace the top one:

Microwave Micro Switch

Part #: WB24X10038 - click here for part info at sears

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Joel Swenson
Is this something that requires a technician or electrician to fix?

You can do it yourself its not that hard, below is a video showing how:

click here for video