Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I am working with a Maytag automatic washer, Model MAV 5000…

I am working with a...
I am working with a Maytag automatic washer, Model MAV 5000 AWW, serial###-##-####, It makes a lot of noise when it spins. Where should I start?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

What kind of noise does it make? A roaring noise? A clanking noise? Squealing? Banging? etc...

Hello Tyler,
I would classify it as roaring.

OK. Tip the washer backwards and remove the belt underneath. The front right pulley is your drain pump pulley and the bearing on this can go out. Spin it by hand and if it doesn't spin smoothly and it grinds, replace the pulley. Otherwise, if that checks good, your main tub bearing and seal has failed and will need to be replaced. The cost of the repair (this is not something you can do yourself since it requires specialty tools) is about $300-350 so it may not be worth fixing. If the issue is the drain pump, you can replace that yourself and it's usually around $75 or so for the part.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler, do you mean to replace the pulley or pump?

You can't replace just the pulley, the entire pump would need to be replaced which comes with the pulley.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Hello Tyler,
Sorry about that, I was out for a period of time . You have been very helpful, how do I get to rate you?

No problem. There should be stars at the top or bottom of the screen you can select.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler the pump isn't the problem
What is involved with the bearing?
That requires specialty tools to replace which are no longer made so you’d need a technician to replace that part for you who still has the tools if you wanted to fix the issue. The repair is about $300-$350 so it’s not a cheap fix and probably not worth fixing, but that’s up to you.