Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My washer won't start. It's a Maytag centennial mct to

My washer won't start ...

My washer won't start

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's a Maytag centennial mct to loader in not sure how old had it given to me when people moved

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

ImNot sure not sure what's wrong with it I push the start button and the light that said sensing comes on and lid locks but then shirts off and lid light keeps blinking

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that's all

3/15/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. The lid lock light flashing just means an error was detected, nothing more. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing. This is the part that shifts the washer into agitate or spin. To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off if the lid lock light is flashing that is OK)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “b” through “g” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one full rotation and the control panel should beep.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

g. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. And all the LEDs should light up or flash if you did it correctly. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Also, below is a video that might help you pull up the error code.

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Ok give me a minute I'll try the code

ok, again if you can't get it, I would just replace the actuator as that is by far the most likely cause.

Ok if I did this right the lights that flash first are sensing rinse spin and done then they go off and just done comes on

Yep, that's a good error code and it means your actuator has failed so it needs to be replaced.

is it hard to fix

I went over this all in the beginning and even gave you a video that shows you how to replace it. No, it's not hard at all and takes me only about 15 minutes. You can watch the video I sent you to determine for yourself.

CLICK HERE for video

Ok thank you

No problem and good luck! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc