Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Viking professional model VGIC3656BSS 36 inch gas…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a Viking professional model VGIC3656BSS 36 inch gas range. we have 4 top burners that won't ignight. also the oven takes a long time to heat and we smell gas occasionally and it then 'poofs' Also the light is burnt out. Ive cleaned the upper burners and the gas runs and ignighters click but don't ignight the flame. Id like to know what to do and what parts I need. Thanks Shawn

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2003 and I included the modern #

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My email is***@******.***. I have to leave the chat now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 3 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Hi, Shawn! You probably won't need any parts. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

One of the most important things with the ignition system is the path to ground and connections. You will likely be able to clean the igniter electrodes and the area of the burners they spark to and restore proper ignition. Use a fine grit sand paper to get theh areas very clean and create a solid electrical path. The top burners are pretty easily accessed and self explanatory. The bake burner is a bit more work but the attached page shows how to get to it. Be sure to get the igniter tip and the burner very clean and see if that resolved the ignition issues you are experiencing. Let me know if it still gives you trouble after cleaning and we can look at some other things.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Ok Ill try that. I did clean it with a brush but ill try sand paper. Can I test anything with a voltmeter? If so what voltage should it be ?

Yes, but if you see sparking, the DSI board is okay. Let me know what happens after cleaning.

Actually I now have 2 burners which do not click. The gas flows though

Any change after cleaning the electrodes at all?

Actually I didn’t clean those yet. Shouldn’t you hear the click regardless or could cleaning solve that? I’m working today and willlook at it tonight

Cleaning will likely solve that issue. The spark is made when the electricity is passed from the electrode to ground (the burner). If the ground path is not good, it will not spark at all or spark incorrectly.

Ok sounds good. I’ll try fine sandpaper and get back to you

Roger that, thank you!

I can’t get the front panel off. I remove the knobs and 4 screws

Did you clean the igniter electrodes first?

Yep I did both thenignighter and the burner are shiny metal. No spark. Tried to send a video. Wulouldnt work
the left 2 burners when checking the resistance between the modules does not start ignighters. I noticed all the other ignighters did spark. there is 110v from the black wire to ground. There is 120 v from the red wire to ground when the 2 left burners are turned on. The gas flows freely. there is about 115 oahms between the black wires and the ignighters on each burner
on the 2 left burners

So it would seem the spark module is faulty.

I believe the module you need is the one below but be sure to have them verify with your model AND serial number!

CLICK HERE

I would need 2. I think. ? It looks different than the one in the photo That you showed in the manual. I’ll check it out
ok can you tell me why you think its the module and not the infighter modules? is there a way t test the spark module? its a pricy part. Also have to change the light bulb and cant get it out its seized-any tricks?No hurry I'm not at this for a day or 2
as I'm back to work

Well, if the wires test okay between the electrodes and the module yet still no spark, the module is faulty unless you can see the spark leaving through a cracked electrode.

As for the bulb, place a drop or two of zoom spout oil around the base and let it get into the socket. That should help with removal.