Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a dryer that i need to get into test mode.

I have a dryer...

I have a dryer that i need to get into test mode

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

GFDN110ELoww GE dryer about 5 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I believe a power surge blew out the control board. we have 6 of these dryers. I put in the new control board and it just counts backwards

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The wiring diagram inn the dryer says it should pick its own model but it did not

3/15/2018
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

You can manually enter the correct model in service mode, enter service mode following the instructions below then follow the instructions on your sheet.

From idle state, press and hold the “Signal” and “Lock” buttons for 3 seconds.

Upon entering the service mode, the Control shall be in test selection mode and display the first test number (t01).

Rotating the knob counter clockwise (CCW) shall decrement the test number in the display.

Rotating the knob clockwise (CW) shall increment the test numbers in the display.

Once the test number is ***** pressing “Start/Pause” shall begin the selected test. During a test, pressing “Power” button shall terminate that test and bring the Control to the test selection mode (test number is ***** on the display).

Pressing “Power” key during the test selection mode shall exit the Service mode.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

also just in case, here is the full programming instructions from GE for that board :

Joel Swenson
I'm not sure what idle state is but 'm guessing power on, dryer not turning. It did not work but I have printed the full instructions and will give that a shot. Oh, The original code was EO1, thermister, i think but I changed parts with the dryer next to it and that dryer worked fine at that point.

E01 is a read write issue with the eeprom on the board.

It seems to be doing nothing but counting down. I noticed there were 3 bars on the screen when I tried the first procedure so I'm thinking I may have started with the wrong one first. I've shut the power off and waiting to see if that screen will come up again. another thing i've noticed is that it counts down and 0.00 is on the screen. I'm not sure if that means 0 or maybe it is displaying current dryer model it is set up for. still not going into service mode. Lock button and signal button are the same button if that makes any difference

ya you should just hold down that button for 3 seconds, you have to do it within 30 seconds of plugging the dryer in after having it unplugged.

all it does is locks

you may have to try swapping out user interface boards if you have another one like it and see if it works then.

Good Morning, I tried the service mode sequence on the dryer next to it and it didn't go into service mode either. I originally changed boards to find out what the problem was but I can change them back if I need to
after it is done counting dow sometimes the screen says 0.00 on speed dryand some other settings the control led circles for a bit and then says 0.00

Ok try this, unplug the dryer for 2 minutes plug the dryer in then immediately push down and hold the lock/signal button down for 3 seconds. Do not push the power button on the dryer first.

I tried it twice on both units and it didn't work on either one. The one unit has been off for hours. I shut them back off and try it a few more times. the lock light comes on and that is it. I also tried holding the button as we turned the power back on. It would be nice if the unit that I know is working would go into that mode. At least I would know that I am doing this right.

are you unplugging the dryer first?

absolutely, it was unplugged for a few hours. the one that is working we unplugged for 2 minutes and tried. I can unplug that one for longer just to see if I can get it to go into service mode. the second time we tried each unit they were unplugged for 2 minutes by the timer on my phone

ok I am going to opt out and let another expert help you on this obviously there is an issue with that model not having the correct test mode sequence being supplied by the manufacturer and I am not aware of any issues so maybe someone else will be.

okay, I apppreciate you help.