Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an 18 year old GE Spacemaker over the range microwave…

I have an 18...

I have an 18 year old GE Spacemaker over the range microwave that just quit working. I now makes a much louder and deeper sound, does not heat and gives off a burnt smell. My question is, do I try to have it fixed or just replace it? Thank you

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model JVM1640BB 003. We installed it when we built our house in 2000

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably not unless it is something simple. I am just trying to figure out if it is worth putting the money into it when I could probably replace it for $400.00

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

At the moment you know as much as I know

3/15/2018
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Anytime a microwave runs but does not heat means that the magnetron ( Its purpose is to generate microwave energy. The high-voltage components accomplish this by stepping up AC line voltage to high voltage, which is then changed to an even higher DC voltage. This DC power is then converted to the RF energy that cooks the food.)

has failed and will have to be replaced. This is a dangerous repair because microwaves hold high voltage even when power is not being supplied to the unit, so it is highly recommended that only a qualified technician make this repair. The magnetron and also the diode that will need to be replaced usually run in the range of 140.00 -300.00 just in parts depending on the model. So to answer your question no its not going to be worth repairing after parts labor and service call fees if you can replace it for 400.00.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Joel Swenson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** afraid you were going to say that.

You are welcome, sorry for the bad new, thank you for the rating and using JA!

Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson