Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I am taking the ice maker apart and can not remove the rear…

Customer Question
I am taking the ice...
I am taking the ice maker apart and can not remove the rear mechanism. I have removed two top screws and one bottom right screw
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
3/15/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 1 month ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model FGHB2866PFGA
I now have the rear auger off. I used a hair dryer to thaw it loose. Now I am trying to get the rear coil cover off ( I think also frozen in place. Perhaps the defroster devise is not working?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was also ice over the rear auger electrical unit. Do you think that that could also be bad or shorted out?
I do not have my multimeter with me to test.

ok so you had something that was shorting out?

and yes if the Evaporator coil behind the rear interior freezer wall frosted or frozen over it is most likely that you do have a defrost system issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I now have the cover off of the coil so I will order a new defrost device. Not sure if the auger moter is bad or not

Ok now the defrost system has three components , would you like to try manually advancing the unit into a defrost mode?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do i do that?

To activate Press ٨ and ٧ for up to 10 sec. simultaneously.

Press + to advance through tests.

proceed to test #2 Freezer Defrost Heater ,,Press set to activate defrost .

Freezer defrost heater on when “on”; off when “off” in the display.

Then wait 10-15 minutes and open the freezer door and let me know if you then hear popping and sizzling .

This will be the defrosted ice melting on the heating element .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are we talking about the defrost thermostat for the ice maker

well the defrost thermostat is just one of the components with in the units defrost system.

you have the main electronic control board that is the BRAIN of the unit it tells the unit when to go into a defrost mode.and that also powers the defrost heater ,and once the unit heats up to a preset temperature the defrost thermostat opens killing voltage to the defrost heating element.

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!

Master Tech
Master Tech