Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE Profile oven. When setting it to clean yesterday…

I have a GE...

I have a GE Profile oven. When setting it to clean yesterday I pulled on the oven door to see if it was locked yet. It managed to lock in the open position! I've tried canceling, we've shut the power off to it for hours at a time. Nothing resets it.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's model number P B970S M2SS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We called GE and there are no repairmen who work on this model in our area. I have 20 people coming tomorrow for the weekend who I need to cook for...

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This should actually be a fairly easy issue to fix. When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally.

If that doesn't work, tape the door switch so it's pushed in and the oven thinks the door is shut. Then unplug the oven or turn power off at the breaker for 60 seconds and re-apply power and that will reset the latch if the latch hasn't failed.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
It worked! Thank you so much. Definitely getting five stars for your help.

No problem and glad I could help!