Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I was changing the bulbs and while trying to get the base…

I was changing the...

I was changing the bulbs and while trying to get the base out the pliers arced on the frame and now its totally dead

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Does that matter

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If you can tell me part I need a fuse or somthing

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Please tell me what type of appliance this is.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s a GE over the stove microwave with fan less than a-year-old

Ok Thanks. Please give me the model number from inside of the microwave.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jvm3160df2bb

You can try replacing the 20 amp fuse behind the control panel, but it is likely that the event burned out your board. Here is a link to the board for your microwave.

http://a.co/3Wyj3DH

You can access the fuse and board by removing the top grille and then the control panel by pushing it straight up.

If is less than 1 year old, GE may come out and fix it for free. I would of course try that first.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know the Way to get into it but I don’t know which one it is

If you mean the fuse, it is the only one that looks like a fuse - right near the top of the control panel on a small board.

I will send you a picture. One moment.

Here you go. It will be either white, grey, or brown, but will be shaped like this:

http://a.co/j91iPHf

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well thank you so much could’ve save me $200 I’ll give that a try

You're welcome!

Engineer-Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I opened it up and there’s no fuses
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There’s two thermal fuses

One moment please.

There is a small filter board about 2 x 4 inches near the top of the microwave. The fuse is on that board.

That is the main board. There is no fuse on that. The fuse is on a small board at the top of the microwave. It may be near the control panel or close to where the cord comes in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you access that

You would need to take the microwave down from the wall and remove the cabinet if the fuse board is not next to the control panel.

Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech