Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a KitchenAid free standing range with a touchpad

I have a KitchenAid...

I have a KitchenAid free standing range with a touchpad control panel. It literally went black overnight. I checked the breaker and then googled it.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model number is ***** and I'd guess that it's 15-20 years old? It has since doubled in price during that time!

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I don't think so.... unless it's simple and straight forward

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

And then again, I'm having foot surgery on Monday and probably won't be in any shape to do it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Are the top burners still working and igniting by themselves when turned on?

I can light the stove top burners. I've only tried one but I imagine since one lit, they will all light?

Yes, so that indicates that there is power to the range. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

No thanks. I'm fine typing

Sorry for the auto call offer, I have no control over those. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

I checked and confirmed that there was no loss of power last night. I checked the circuit breaker. The one thing I did not do was move the stove to make sure it was still plugged in. Nothing has moved so I can't imagine but I could do that while you are gathering additional information.

If the top burners are sparking to light, there is no issue with the power supply to the range.

If all wiring to the control is intact, the oven control will need to be replaced. The power supply is part of the control and there are no thermal fuses or other devices in between the power and the control. So, remove the rear access panel (number 5 at the link below) and check all wiring to the number 7 oven control. If all intact, replace the control.

CLICK HERE

All connections simply unplug and plug in.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

I should just follow these links and get back in touch with you? I'm not staying here in this chat? Or am I? Sorry. I'm new to this.
Is the control easy enough to replace?

Yes, it is quite easy to replace, you just pull the range out and remove the rear panel. Everything will just unplug from the old control and plug in on the new one.

You can post back when you get the control, too. We can walk through replacement together, if you'd like. The easiest way back is to follow a link from your email.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Okay. Does it make any sense to pull the stove out and unplug it from the outlet to do a reset? And what do I need to know about replacing the control panel? Do I need to shut off the propane?
Are you still there? Or are we done? Either way, you've been very helpful. Thank you.

YOu could try to reset it but it will not likely reset if it is totally dead. You do not need to shut the gas off to replace the control.

Hi Kelly.
I've got the stove pulled out and I've got the part. Can you either provide me a link with directions in replacing the part of help me install it?
Thanks so much.

See the link below. With the range unplugged, remove the number 5 panel. Then, the number 7 clock is held in place with 4 screws. All connections simply unplug and plug in.

CLICK HERE

I can't seem to find the right bit to unscrew the back of the stove.

It is a 1/4" socket.

Do I need to get the wrench set? The small/larger bits do not work. Thanks.

If you have a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, if you remove the bit, that is a 1/4".

Ok. Thanks. I'll go out to the garage to get that. I might be back in touch.

Sure, thank you!

I'm back..... so, which part of the back of the stove do I want to remove..... The top part that looks like it releases the top of the range or the one that is entirely on the back?

Just the top one that covers the back of the control panel.

Are you there?

Yes, I am here.

I've got the stove apart and these parts do not seem to match up...... 5 stars is compromised!
I'm out the oven and now I have to return the part. Is there a way for me to send pictures?

Yes, use the ADD FILE button to add pictures here.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm scheduled for surgery on Monday and will be relying on my oven..... or not, as the case may be.

Your range looks to be a Frigidaire, you posted a Kitchen Aid and with a Kitchen Aid model number. Did you get the model number right off the range from behind the lower drawer??

"I have a KitchenAid free standing range with a touchpad control panel. It literally went black overnight. I checked the breaker and then googled it.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model number is KFGS530ESS2 and I'd guess that it's 15-20 years old? It has since doubled in price during that time!"

14 Mar 2018, 5:07 PM

Please let me know that you've seen the pictures and please provide some guidance. My surgery is Monday the 19th and I won't be able to deal with this beyond that point. This is frustrating beyond my own comprehension. My fault..... I guess. Is there anything you can offer at this point?
Other than reimbursement of the $5. trial and a promise to cancel my subscription and the opportunity to revise my rating? No personal offense here but this felt so promising that I am not totally stuck and financially constricted.

The picture you sent of your range tells me it is a Frigidaire! You posted it to be a Kitchen Aid and with a Kitchen Aid model number.

I can send you another photo that has the KitchenAid "stamp"

I get that you are not happy that you cannot get your range fixed but YOU provided the INCORRECT INFORMATION. Looking at the back of your range, the part numbers on the console and the oven control are definitely a Frigidaire. The model tag is behind the lower drawer.....

Has nothing to do with my ego. I am trying to help you and you are talking refund and being unhappy. Can yo post a picture of the model tag and the entire front of the range, please?

Absolutely. Please give me just a couple minutes so I can get the screws back in and position the range back into place. Mostly, I'm frustrated..... partly my own fault. I think this is an amazing resource and I just have to deal with a few more steps than most

Thank you.