Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Water is coming into d/w after it has washed dishes and sits…

Water is coming into...

Water is coming into d/w after it has washed dishes and sits for awhile. It appears it is coming from bottom of drain area ?? No water coming in from water inlet. Water in drain sump is warm.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model shu43co6uc purchased 7-4-06

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if isn,t to complicated

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What is causing this to happen

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The only 2 things that can cause water to come into the dishwasher after it sits is the inlet valve not sealing up, or the drain hose backing up. Now keep in mind there is a flap to prevent lots of water from gushing into the dishwasher should your sink back up so that it doesn't flood into the dishwasher, but there is always some water stored in the hose. The flap doesn't seal up 100% so water will back up into the sump area (a few cups) and that is 100% normal. Now if you let it go and it starts to raise above the filter plate and you see it when you open the door, that is a problem. Either your drain hose isn't routed properly or you need to replace the water inlet valve. The drain hose should come out the back of the dishwasher and go up to the top of your kitchen cabinet before going down into the garbage disposal or stand pipe. That creates what is known as a "high rise drain loop" so that addition water from the sink won't want to go into the dishwasher unless the water in the sink raises up to the counter top. Either way, make sure the drain hose is routed properly and if that checks good and it's filling will too much water when not in use---replace the inlet valve even if it doesn't seem like it's coming from it, because it can't come from anywhere else.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Thank you for the info. I filled up the sink 1/2 full of hot water and the let it drain on the garbage disposal side. No hot water felt coming back into d/w drain hose with or without garbage disposal running. Still no water coming into d/w right now from the water inlet. I took out the filter and cleaned it. It was very dirty and replaced it in d/w. Now I shut the door and will check if any water is still coming in after a few hrs.