Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE gsh25jstfss side by side, 10 years old I gave…

I have a GE...

I have a GE gsh25jstfss side by side

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

10 years old I gave you the exact model number above
The interior lights work but nothing else. This happened after power was shut off and turned back on. I replaced the main board and run capacitor with no success.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

After being plugged in for two weeks it just decided to come on one night and work fine until it is unplugged and plugged back in. The in came on again after sitting their dead for a day. It will stay running as long as you don't unplug it. But no telling when it may decide to work. Also the front control panel lights do not work. Front panel is completly out

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The issue has to be related to the main board on the back of the cabinet. If ti has been replaced without any change, it is probably an issue with the neutral or ground that is causing issues at the power supply level. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

I have a CEN-TECH Digital Multimeter

Can you check the polarity of the outlet as well as the ground? If you need instruction to do so, please let me know.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
I think we can figure it out with typing
It is not the outlet. It doesn't work on other outlets either and it does randomly work sometimes
Also, the interior lights work.....just nothing else
Also the interior lights work.....just nothing else

Sorry for the auto call offer, I have no control over those.

What is the part number of the board that you replaced?

GE Main Control Board FOR GE REFRIGERATOR 200D6221G015 White

The model you posted takes the board below. Is this the one you installed?

CLICK HERE

No, this is the one that matched my old one exactlyhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Main-Control-Board-FOR-GE-REFRIGERATOR-200D6221G015-White-/182555182746?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

You need to install the board I linked you to, part number WR55x10942P.

Why? What is the difference and why would the exact replacement model not work?

That is an old board, the one I sent you replaced that board more than 10 years ago. They have been updated and redesigned due to them being so problematic. The issue you are having can only be caused by the main board, it is the "brain" of the refrigerator.

Are you saying that the "new" used board I got must be defective and should be returned?

Yes, it really is the only thing that can cause the issue you are having, provided outlet polarity, neutral and ground connections are verified good.

Here is an interesting tidbit....... I tested J4 1 and 2 on the original control board and it was a fluctuation current between 4 and 9 volts. It is supposed to be 13. While it was sporadically working it tested at 13. The "new" board tested just now at zero. I put the original board back in and it is jumping between 4 and 9. So I agree that the "new" board I got is junk

It would appear so. Those boards are typically not good to buy used because they are problematic enough new! :)

Do you know anything about vertical bars on Plasma TVs?

No, but there are TV experts on site!

Thank You for your help!

You are very welcome, thank you!