Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Ge profile microwave won't heat nor turn the glass tray.

Ge profile microwave won't...

Ge profile microwave won't heat nor turn the glass tray

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Manufactured in 2012 but not sure when installed as we boughtth ehouse in 2015 and it was already installed

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just stopped while cooking bacon. I have seen this happen in older microwaves that get very hot cooking bacon

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your microwave . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers. Also note that you may receive a phone call offer from Just Answer. That is automatically sent by the website and not from the expert.

STOPPED TURNING AND COOKING WHILE HEATING BACON, ALL CONTROLS AND LIGHTS SEEM NORMAL

Can you tell me if the microwave still counts down but just won't run?

NO

So what happens when you press start?

COUNTS DOWN DOES EVERYTHING BUT HEAT AND TURN TRAY
FAN STARTS, COUNTDOWN BEGINS

Ok. I understand. Generally when you are experiencing an issue like this it just means that one of the door switches is bad. These microwaves have 3 to 4 door switches that must all be in their proper positions to cook and heat up and when one goes out you will experience things like the microwave counting down without running. Luckily they are fairly inexpensive to replace as most of the switches are less than $20. The bad switch is usually the one that doesn’t “click” when you press the button on it. Sometimes the leads to the switch appear overheated. If it isn't something that you are comfortable doing yourself you can call a local service company or if you don't know one you can always call GE customer service and see who in your area is a certified service of GE appliances. The part number for the door switch is WB24X10029. You can get it on Amazon here: http://a.co/hfYbAXl

Always unplug the microwave for 3 hours before taking it apart to discharge the High Voltage capacitor. Be careful when working on microwaves.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech