Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

After running my dryer for about 5 minutes it starts making…

Customer Question
After running my dryer...

After running my dryer for about 5 minutes it starts making a loud noise and gets really hot

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

We have had it for 7 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It is a Frigidaire model number FRE5711KW

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I would like to try repair it myself if possible

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/14/2018
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your dryer . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers. Also note that you may receive a phone call offer from Just Answer. That is automatically sent by the website and not from the expert.

Ok

Can you tell me if you have checked the venting to the outside of the house? Do you know if it is flowing well?

I have not

Ok, here is what I would do. I would run the dryer with the vent disconnected for 5 minutes to see if you have the same issue. If not, your venting in the home needs to be addressed. This is because poor venting can cause overheating and motor noise. If you still have the same problem, I suspect the motor, for which I can give you a part number if you need it.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

OK I on hook the event and it did not get hot but it did start making the loud noise again
Unhooked the ven

Ok what does it sound like?

A loud humming noise

Ok, a humming sound is what the motor makes when it is damaged. It was probably damaged by the back pressure of the poor venting. I would go ahead and get it replaced. Here is a link to the motor. http://a.co/8KH9VCv

Please note that Electrolux and Frigidaire are the same company. Also for your additional information, below is a video that shows how to replace the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNm7WmZJc6c