Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Second opinion] our refrigerator stopped making ice

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi there...

Second opinion] Hi there, our refrigerator stopped making ice suddently. We didn't change the filter or anything recently so we don't understand why.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Model WRS586FID Make: Whirlpool less than 5 yrs old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. if its a simple fix yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope. Just why did our new fridge stop making ice suddenly

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
3/15/2018
Appliance Technician: Jason Pabon,
 replied 4 months ago
Jason Pabon

Hi JACUSTOMER-9mabfu3f, I'm Howard, I'll try my best to give you the information you need to properly diagnose your ice maker. So the first thing I do is check water flow. I do this by grabbing a measuring cup and my smart phone. I set a timer for 8 seconds. I press start as I activate the water dispenser. For your ice maker to work properly, you need to get 8 oz of water in 8 secs. If your not getting that then there is a water flow issue. there are many possible reasons for this. First I look at the supply valve (Usually under the sink or behind the unit) if the supply valve is a needle type valve, This is your problem as they tend to clog with calcium after some time. If you have a good supply valve, I'd turn it off and take the water line off of the fridge, point it into a bucket, and slowly turn it on to make sure the fridge is getting a good supply. Assuming that's good, Next I put the water line back on the fridge valve and turn water back on. I then disconnect the water line going to the dispenser and put the valve in the bucket and activate the water dispenser. Water should come out of the valve. I then will switch electrical leads and repeat for the ice maker side. If all that is good. The chances are, you have a bad filter. However, If you ARE getting 8 in 8, the next step is to check the ice maker itself. At this point I would call an appliance professional due to the complexities of accessing the icemaker on THIS particular model. If there any questions please post.. I'll be here to help