Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have an Amana SRD 20S4W side by side refrigerator. It's…

We have an Amana...

We have an Amana SRD 20S4W side by side refrigerator.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's about 18 years old. The freezer cools only to about -5 deg C (or about 14F). The motor is running contanty. The refregerator is at about 40 deg F.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'd like to if possble. I'm pretty handy, but I don't want to take on too much.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

How to diagnose which part is responsible for the problem. Could it be a thermostat? If it's the compressor, then it might not be worthwhile.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. This will take a few minutes

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are 9 screws holding the lower panel. I can see through the screen on the bottom and see some vanes. They look clear and there is no frost on them. Should proceed to remove the panel?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello?

No need. Your coils are only partially frosted at the top which means that you either have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. Make sure the fan back by the compressor is running to cool the compressor. Then make sure the coils are clean below the refrigerator. If the frost won't go to the bottom of the coils still, you probably need a new refrigerator because a freon leak is about $450 to repair and a new compressor is about $650.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to be sure, when you say to check that the coils are clean below the refrgerator, --- when I take off the grill at the very bottom, it is still hard to see much below the refrigerator. How would I see the coils? How far back is the fan? is the compressor on the left or right?

The fan is back by the compressor. You'll need to pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel to check the fan and compressor. I'm not sure what side the compressor is on but you can't miss it because it's the only big black round metal part. As for the coils, you just have to do your best to clean under if it looks like it's clogged when you use a flash light.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just used a flashlight. There is a fair amount of dust when I look at the bottom with the grill removed. I can see what I think are the coils through the dust. I'll go ahead and move the frig back to see the rear, But I can hear what I think is the compressor running. Would that indicate that indeed the system has lost coolant?

No, again you would need a technician to come out and check the freon pressure to know if you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor if the fan is running and the coils have been cleaned and it still won't frost to the bottom of the evaporator.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But either way, if it were a bad compressor - or lost freon, it would be too costly to repair? Right?

That is correct. $450 for a freon leak and about $650 for a new compressor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I will try to remove that panel inside the frig and look at the evaporator coils - and then look at the back. That will take a while. Can I check back in about 20 minute to a half hour?

ok but there is no need to remove the back panel inside the freezer, you have already seen what you need to see through the vent at the bottom.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just went out for a while to look at what is available in new refrigerators....Thank you for your advice. I wanted some confirmation before purchasing a new one.
I will give a 5 star rating.
Thanks again.
- Harris Honickman
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got an email from you saying that the question on the Amana refrigerator is still open.
Based on your answer so far, we decided the cost to repair it is too expensive and will buy an new one.
You can close the question.
Thank you,
- Harris Honickman
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc