Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My washing machine was working fine, spinning, and I stopped…

My washing machine was...

My washing machine was working fine, spinning, and I stopped it, then started it spinning again. Water came out normally then stopped coming out, I think it's plugged somehow. What do I do?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Maytag model A7300

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It's pretty old

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Most likely the belt is slipping or came off. Tip the washer backwards a bit and you'll see 2 belts. The belt that runs from the left front corner to the right front corner is the drain pump and the drain pump is located in the front right corner. Make sure the belt is still attached. If so and it won't drain, replace the belt if it seems like it's slipping. If it's not slipping, remove the screws in the lower right and left corners of the front panel and you can see the drain pump. Then you can drain the water out manually with a cup and bucket. Once drained out, disconnect the hose between the tub and pump and check for a blockage. If you find nothing, replace the drain pump. Below is a link to the belt kit.

CLICK HERE for belt kit

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

The washer spins, but the water doesn't come out, do you still think it's the belt?

Yes, it's a separate belt that connects to the drain pump.

Thanks, I'm trying now

ok sounds good.

you were mistaken there is no belt
I took the front panel off

No I'm not, you didn't read correct. Please read what I wrote again.

You must tip the washer back to see the belts. The belts are underneath. You're only removing the front panel if you need to access the drain pump or drain hoses to check for clogs or replace the drain pump.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
sorry, I didn't realize it was under the floor of the machine. The belt seems to be ok

Maybe, but no way to know if it's slipping or not unless you tip the washer forward (not backwards), then look underneath and watch. If it spins out and drains when tipped forward, replace the belt. If it doesn't drain and it's not slipping, you'll need to check for blockages or replace the pump as I mentioned before.