Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our cabrio washing machine is reading a 5d error. we don't…

Hi. our cabrio washing...

Hi. our cabrio washing machine is reading a 5d error. we don't know where our manual is.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

8-10 years about. its a whirlpool cabrio

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

That would depend on what 5d means.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Sorry- I just realized I'm on kitchen not laundry

3/13/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your Cabrio washer. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers. Also note that you may receive a phone call offer from Just Answer. That is automatically sent by the website and not from the expert.

The 5d error is a "suds" error. It means that either too much detergent or the wrong kind of detergent has been used - or there is an issue with the pump. If there are suds in the machine, you can try to rinse them out. However, if there are no suds in the machine you may have something caught in your pump. For this, you would need to first remove the water either with a shop vac or by bailing and then tilt the machine back to access the pump. The pump would need to be removed to determine if there is a sock caught in it or if the pump is bad. If you give me a model number, I can get a part number for your pump if you need it. Here is a video that discusses your error at a high level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v66USc48o0

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

thank you!

You're welcome!

PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

there is no water and no suds. but the clothes are wet and possibly soapy. we use tide pods.

Then you may very well have something stuck in the pump.

Ugh, k. Thanks.

You're welcome.

hi. so we got to the pump and its fine. The problem appears to be that the spin cycle isn't working. how do we troubleshoot that?

If you are not getting any other error than 5d, then that error is keeping your washer from spinning. If your pump is not clogged and there are no suds in the tub, then the pump impeller probably spins too freely or is not stable. This is an indication of a bad pump.

okay. one more thing... is it possible that I did a load too big with my husbands sweatshirts and if I did a load with smaller lighter clothes- it may be able to work? sorry- we wont be able to get it foxed or buy a new one for a couple of days and my son is running out of underwear. insert laughing, embarrassed emoji.

You can certainly try. If it was draining for you, you can try running cycle with no detergent to try an get any possible debris or suds out of the system first before trying a small load.

Engineer-Tech