Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My refrigerator light is on, but it is not keeping anything…

Hello, my refrigerator light...

Hello, my refrigerator light is on, but it is not keeping anything cold.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

I will check

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It is a Maytag Performa, maybe 20 years old. I will do the work myself if I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It was working until I turned off circuit breaker, and when the power was back on, the problem started

3/13/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Do you have a full model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

I will check

ok

The model is PTB2153drw

ok give me a minute to look up your model.

The power has been out many times before, and the refrigerator has always worked fine when the power is back. That is why I don't understand why this is happening.

OK so you either have a bad thermostat or stuck defrost timer if nothing is running. If you haven't given it an hour, just leave it plugged in for an hour and the unit might just exit defrost on it's own. Otherwise, you'll need to open the refrigerator door and look up at the control panel inside the refrigerator. toward the front of your control panel on the bottom, there is a small 1/2" plastic circular knob. Turn this knob with a flat head screwdriver clockwise half a turn and if the refrigerator kicks on, replace the defrost timer because it's not advancing on it's own. If it doesn't turn on, the thermostat behind the knob you adjust to change the temperature inside the refrigerator has failed and needs to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Thanks, ***** ***** try that, but it may take a while.
I don't see the 1/2 inch circular knob
Ok, I did see that I think, but it is in the back and a bit hard to reach. I will try to get to it

ok sounds good.

I turned it with the screwdriver. I don't know yet if it made a difference.

It would start up immediately if the timer was the problem. If you don't hear it running, then you have a bad thermostat.

Then I guess I need to call someone in my area to replace it

That's up to you if you're handy enough to replace it yourself or not.

Thanks for your time and help.

No problem and good luck!