Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a WTW6700TW1 washer that shows a OL code after

I have a WTW6700TW1...

I have a WTW6700TW1 washer that shows a OL code after failing to empty the water near the end of any cycle. Could it be object caught between the perforated basket and the drum? Am I supposed to disassemble the unit and clean the rust from the shaft?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool WTW6700TW1, serial number, CW2470378. Best guess on age is 2008, plus/minus one year.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just that I am not afraid to dis-assemble it.

3/12/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

First, OL stands for “Overload”, so in other words, the washer things the tub is too hard to move because it’s overloaded and the motor is struggling or the unit is way out of balance causing the washer to struggle. The most common problem is a nut below the inner tub that needs to “float”. Floating is when the tub fills up with water to a certain level the inner basket will rise about 1 inch from the center agitator. What this does is disengage the basket from the motor so that the agitator can rotate independently from the basket. If the basket does not float then when it tries to agitate the whole basket will turn back and forth at the same speed as the agitator and this will cause the OL error code.

To fix the problem if the basket is not floating you will have to take the washer apart. Below are the steps to follow if you are mechanically able to tackle it:

1. Unplug the power cord

2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and
the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.

3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn’t get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.

4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outer edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.

5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pried off with a small screwdriver.

6. Remove the center screw under the cap.

7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabbing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.

8. Remove the 6 Phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don’t drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.

9. Remove the plastic top gear.

10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.

11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outer lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off.

12. Once the basket is off you will notice there is liquid inside of it. That is factory sealed in there so do not worry about that, it is normal.

13. With the basket is off you will be able to see that the shaft is probably corroded and the inside bearing on the basket is corroded. Clean these both off very good and check to see if the basket can easily go back on the shaft and slide up and down without getting stuck. You may need to sand and file the shaft a little bit to get it totally cleaned up. The inner bearing of the basket is plastic so it is pretty easy to clean with light sanding.

14. Reassemble in the reverse order and your done. Check to make sure the basket can easily float now by pulling up on it from the top inside lips.

Now if for some reason you don't find corrosion or the issue is not fixed, order and replace the 4 suspension rods because they have just become weak.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I test for the basket bring stuck (step 11 above) before disassembly? Is there a way to test the suspension rods? Should I disassemble the lint filter while everything is apart?

You really can't test it, not. You just have to disassemble and sand the shaft until the basket slides up and down easily without sticking. And there is no lint filter to worry about. Also, you can't test the suspension rods.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any good suggestion on how to remove basket without special tool. “You’ll just have to figure a way to get if off” is pretty vague.

I put a block of wood on top of the center shaft and lift up on the basket while hitting the block of wood with a mini sledge hammer. It helps to have 2 people. Again, you'll have to figure it out, there is no exact science to it. It's removing a shaft from the bearing and that's never easy when the shaft is corroded.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

ok. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was going to see how the advice on the repair went before rating the advice, is that ok?

... that's usually fine if you're doing it now. If you're not doing it until another day then that's really stretching it.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc