Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool french door refrigerator model #

WRF535SMBM00. It's approximately 3 1/2...
I have a Whirlpool french door refrigerator model # WRF535SMBM00. It's approximately 3 1/2 years old. About five months ago I noticed the ice maker wasn't making ice for a few days. Then it started making ice again randomly. Then it stopped for a few days. Then started again. Then stopped for good. I checked to make sure the metal switch thingy was down. I checked the water supply. Can you help me figure out how to get it working again?
3/12/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Looks like it is cycling, but not filling up with water. How do I remove the icemaker in order to check the fill tube behind it?

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). After which, if you need anything else, just let me know.

Looks like it is cycling, but not filling up with water. How do I remove the ice maker in order to check the fill tube behind it?

Again, we are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). After which, if you need anything else I'll be happy to continue helping you.

I'm supposed to rate you before you've finished helping me solve the issue?

Yes. I have given you my time and information needed to fix your appliance. You now know what is wrong and what needs to be done. If you have follow-up questions hours/days after I've given you your answer, you will need to rate me before I give you more of my time.

I do not normally make that stipulation but you never finished rating on the last question I helped you on before, I figured I'd give you another chance this time, and now it's a day later and it looks like the same thing is going to happen again. So I think I'm being fair in my time I've already given you based on our last interaction.

I didn't realize that I never finished the last one. I'm not someone who stiffs people. I'm also not someone who pays for my meal and tips my waitress right after she brings the food out. I'll go correct the other one.

I appreciate that.

Thank you so much. I really do appreciate the correction, I assure most people I've found aren't as honorable as you.

As for taking out the icemaker, I would probably pull the refrigerator forward and disconnect the water line down at the valve first and blow through it to make sure it's clogged and frozen before taking the icemaker out and guessing to see if it's frozen. Either way, to remove the icemaker there are 2 screws above the icemaker going into the left side wall. Remove these screws and if there is one below the icemaker going into the left side wall, remove that as well. After that, the icemaker just pulls forward and you can unplug the icemaker from the back wall to remove it completely.

I believe you. There is a major lack of integrity in the world today. Thanks for the info. I'll try that this morning.

No problem and let me know if you need anything else.

Well, funny thing, when I pulled the refrigerator out the water supply was actually turned off. I must have left it off when I was messing with it several months ago. Now that it is back on the ice maker does not appear to be cycling anymore. Any idea why would it stop cycling with the water supply on?

That wouldn't have anything to do with the icemaker not cycling but you do need to give the refrigerator 24 hours because if it detects a problem (like no water) it'll only try to cycle every 24 hours. Other than that, fill up the icemaker manually with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it dumps the ice. If it doesn't dump the ice and the arm is in the down position, the icemaker is just bad. If it does dump the ice and doesn't fill up, you either have a frozen water line or bad electronic water valve. Lastly, if it dumps the ice and refills, everything is good to go.

Ok, I'll give it until tomorrow and see. I turned the water off in the first place because it wasn't working so I expect there to still be something wrong with it.

ok sounds good.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc