Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool washing machine that is not spinning. I…

I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool washing machine that is not spinning. I have replaced the basket drive, coupler is fine, It started to work again for one load and now no spin again, any thoughts

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

LSQ8000LQ3

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I did the basket replacement and new clutch

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you turn the washer to spin, then let it run, wait a minute or two, then open the lid for a second and close it again---does that cause the washer to spin? If you want to see, you can open the lid quickly and see if it brakes and stops spinning to know if it was spinning.

No, it does not spin

OK then either your clutch is slipping or the transmission is bad. You'll need to drop the transmission and look at the clutch to see if there is oil in the clutch area causing it to slip. If so, return the basket drive and get a new one. If it looks dry, the transmission will need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

It worked for like 10 plus times when I installed the basket drive, and then I did a small load it worked all the way up to the final fast spin cycle and it didn't spin for that. And now I can't get it to spin at all

That doesn't change what I just told you to do or what the possibilities are.

QUOTE:

What is a way to test the transmission once it is out ???

You can't test the transmission itself. You do exactly what I stated to do already. You drop the transmission and look at the clutch. If there is oil in the clutch, replace the basket drive. If there is not---replace the transmission. Those are the ONLY options.

Alot of oil or just a black spot or so ?

Usually it won't be a lot. It won't even be a spot because the clutch will rub on it and cause the clutch to slip. If it feels like there is lubrication on the clutch, replace basket drive. If you can't determine whether there is oil or not. clean up the clutch with soapy water to remove any possible oil. Then re-install everything and try again. If it starts working again, return and replace the basket drive. If it does not spin still, then replace the transmission.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
ok