Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How to remove top of Maytag commercial front load washer. 6…

How to remove top...

How to remove top of Maytag commercial front load washer

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

6 yr old MHN30PD

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

F28 Out of,Order message

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with your washer but I don't have great news for you at all. F28 means that your main central control board (CCU) and the motor control board (MCU) are not communicating with one another properly. The motor control board is located under the tub mounted to the floor of the washer. The CCU is mounted under the top panel of the washer and is the part with about 100 wires going into it. You'll want to remove the top panel and the lower front panel to check the wire connections and make sure they are all secure. If everything looks good, then you just have to guess which control board you want to replace first, either the MCU or the CCU and the problem is that there is no way to test and determine which part is faulty so it's just a guessing game. I typically replace the MCU first as that is the part that tends to fail

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler poor, so how do I remove the top panel to get access
Let me rephrase that Tyler. So Tyler, how do I lift the top panel of this Maytag, since I see it's hinged at the back.

I believe you insert a putty knife below the top panel into the seam from the front and push back on 2 hidden spring clips (right and left sides). That should release the top panel so it hinges up and backwards. If not, you must unscrew the lower front panel first, then work your way up. Typically the MCU is the part that fails and requires you to only remove the lower front panel to access it so I'm not sure if you'll really need to pull everything apart other than to just verify everything is securely plugged in (which I've never found to be the problem myself).