Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I ran the self clean on our oven last night. Now the oven…

I ran the self...

I ran the self clean on our oven last night. Now the oven doesn't heat - display works, I can hear it "click" which I assume is the regulator etc but no heat.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

GE - Model: JTP30SOM1SS . roughly 2008,

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends - I'm a handy fellow. I replaced the control panel and display myself.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so..

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE oven . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers. Also note that you may receive a phone call offer from Just Answer. That is automatically sent by the website and not from the expert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no worries.

You likely just have a burned out bake element. A large percentage of bake element failures occur during self clean. This is when it is under the greatest amount of stress. It is easy to replace. Just cut power off to the oven, remove the screws that old it in place and pull it forward. Remove the wires and install the new one in reverse. If your's is a hidden element, you will want to remove the floor of the oven first. You should get less than 30 ohms from an ohmmeter if you want to test the old one. Here is also a link to the part for you.

http://a.co/6EuIEW5

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would this issue effect bake and Broil? Neither are working - top or bottom elements don't come one even for Broil high.

Ok, that wasn't mentioned in your introduction. That is different. If that is the case, you have a failure common to both bake and broil which could be the thermal fuse in the back or as a result of a failed control panel. Would you like sources for both?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please - the control panel is ON at least but I'm sure it could still have issues - I replaced it about a year ago due to a recall.

Here is the board that contains the relays and items most likely to cause this issue.

http://a.co/gwwStyl

Check to see if 220 volts AC goes into the board but does not come out of it to the elements during bake or broil - in order to verify it's failure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is the best way to test that?

Using a voltmeter set on AC voltage - test for 220-240 Volts AC coming from red and black wire from the terminal block - make sure it makes it to the board. If so, put it on bake and if you aren't getting the same voltage coming out of the board to the elements, it is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will do.

- Please use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech